Among the many responsibilities facing the Knauss Homestead Preservation Society repair and improvement of the Knauss properties, namely the house and barn, are the most critical.
The properties had over the years suffered significant deterioration causing the Preservation Society to embark upon an extensive restoration program. Your financial support as members and/or donors will be a significant help in moving these projects forward.
- Roof repair and new gutters has been made thanks to the contribution of Borough Council.
- The removal of the asbestos siding and replacing it with 1X10 ship lap eastern white pine siding.
- On second floor replace 3 doors and 12 windows. Cost: $65,000
- Repair flooring on the second floor. Cost: $5,000
- Re-lay approximately 20 square feet of back wall foundation. Repoint and sand blast stonework on the interior and exterior of barn. Cost: $45,000
- First floor: Replace existing posts with 8×8 rough cut oak post and install new foundation under each post. Grade and concrete. Replace 5 cypress barn sash windows Cost: $20,000
- Our next step would be to establish a design committee to determine the potential use of the barn.
The house needs repainting. Cost to repaint and repairs is estimated at $24,500.
Shutter Replacement and Painting
Shutters around the house require replacement. Cost to replace shutters and paint is estimated at $12,000.
Foundation Repair and Replace Inside and Outside doors
Cost to repair foundation, replace inside & outside doors. $5,200. This project was completed in 2020.
A project is underway to install an industrial sized dehumidifier to address serious humidity issues in the basement with ventilation to the first floor. Benefits include the elimination of the musty odor in the basement and first floor and the preservation of the quilt which would otherwise deteriorate from excessive humidity experienced on the first floor. This project is paid by a generous grant from an anonymous donor.