About the Knauss Homestead
BUILT AT THE HEIGHT OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
18th Century Emmaus Comes Alive
The Knauss Homestead was constructed in 1777 by Heinrich Knauss, the son of Sebastian H. Knauss. The elder Knauss along with Jacob Ehrenhardt Sr., donated property for the establishment of the Moravian community of Emmaus.
The homestead was built of log in the style of German homes of that period. It did not have electricity or indoor plumbing. A barn was built on the property in the coming years.
For a total of 158 years the Knauss House sheltered the descendants of Heinrich Knauss – seven generations were born within its walls. Upon the death of Mary Ellen (Adrain) Knauss in 1931, widow of Herman Knauss, the house and surrounding thirty five acres were purchased at auction by Atty. Dewey Mareks.
Although the Mareks family installed electricity, heating and a kitchen, the house was never used by them as a permanent residence. Upon the death of Mrs. Mareks in 1972, the house remained vacant for the next 20 years.
In 1992 the property was acquired from the Mareks estate by the Borough of Emmaus. The Knauss Homestead is listed on the National Registry of Historical Landmarks.